Back in California, so I got to revisit Babalu’s gym for another great training session. I attended the class at 11 am (I prefer midday because it seems like there are less students and thus more individual attention) taught by Professor Pedro Munoz (black belt).
We went over an open guard pass, that involved using knee penetration as the primary tool.
Open Guard Pass Set Up
1. Start with opponent on his back in open guard.
2. Step right foot forward between his legs
3. Left hand underhand grips his right ankle (for better control as opposed to grabbing pant leg) and right hand grabs his left lapel (at a very low level, almost at belt line)
4. Keep elbows in and tight to avoid triangle or other submission.
5. Left hand shifts so that palm is now facing the inside aspect of partners right knee and pushes the knee to the ground.
6. Right knee penetrates over his right thigh and continues to slide until it is at level of the calf.
7. Then re-adjust the right knee so that it is now “stapling” his right calf. My right hand is still maintaining a tight grip on this lapel and keeping my elbow in and tight.
8. Adjust the grip of the left hand now to cup the outer aspect of his left knee.
From here there were two variations to passing.
9. Donkey kick right leg back to free it from this right leg and at the same time use the grip of the left hand to push and drive his right knee to his left side.
10. Immediately place my right shin behind his right knee/thigh to control his hips to prevent him from turning towards me to re-establish the guard, and keep driving forward go kill any space available.
11. End in side control on top.
9. Right hand let go of the lapel and reaches under his left thigh/knee to underhand grip the back of his pants waist line (to control his hips, almost like single leg pass).
10. Left hand changes grip and now reaches over his right thigh and right hip to establish an over-hook with my arm of his mid right thigh.
11. Drop my head to his left torso with my face directed towards his feet.
12. Donkey kick right leg back to free it from his right leg and then keep driving and pushing forward to kill his space and his hips.
13. End in side control.
We then ended class with some position specific training. Bottom and top of open guard, bottom and top of 1/2 guard, bottom and top of 1/2 guard with grips, bottom and top of side control. The other students were a purple belt and a 3 or 4 stripe blue belt. I gave a good fight and had some small victories in these positions but pretty much got tapped the entire time!
Overall, wonderful training that left me exhausted for the rest of the day!